C-SPAN: Celebrating Rapid City
September 11, 2019 3:00 pm - 5:00 pm
A BIG THANK YOU to everyone who showed up in support of C-SPAN, MidCo, local authors and The Journey Museum and Learning Center!
The Rapid City episodes will air Oct. 5-6. More information can be found by clicking here.
Please join us Wednesday, Sept. 11 at 3 p.m. for a special reception in our Stanford Adelstein Gallery. You’ll learn how Rapid City will be in the national spotlight on the 2019 C-SPAN Cities Tour.
Rapid City Mayor Steve Allender, Visit Rapid City, and others will welcome the C-SPAN crew at The Journey Museum and Learning Center on Sept. 11 to celebrate Rapid City history and its authors.
Show your Rapid City pride by attending! No admission will be charged for this event. Space is limited and will be available on a first-come, first-served basis.
This reception is part of a weeklong visit. C-SPAN will be in Rapid City Sept. 8-11 to record various literary and historic sites, interview local historians, non-fiction authors, and elected officials, as well as to conduct community outreach.
Local segments will air on Book TV (C-SPAN2, Midco channel 88) and American History TV (C-SPAN3, Midco channel 159) Oct. 5-6.
American History TV (on C-SPAN3) programming highlights:
* The Journey Museum and Learning Center - Flood of 1972 and Pioneer History
* Historian Donovin Sprague on the Black Hills
* Mount Rushmore Memorial
* Crazy Horse Memorial
* South Dakota Air and Space Museum
Book TV (on C-SPAN2) programming highlights:
* Seth Tupper, “Calvin Coolidge in the Black Hills”
* Nancy Todd Engler, “More Than Presidents: The Personal Lives of the Men Who Shaped a Nation”
* Dan O’Brien, Wild Idea: “Buffalo and Family in a Difficult Land”
* David Wolff, Seth Bullock: “Black Hills Lawman”
* Tim Giago, Oglala Lakota publisher and journalist, “Children Left Behind”